Critical Whiteness, Racial Justice, Sexual & Gender Liberation, Participatory Action Research
Activist/ Scholar/Therapist/ Community Work
Field Internship Professor, 2018-present. Develop and teach social justice/ social work course with Kingsborough Community College undergraduates at Flatbush Tenants’ Coalition, Brooklyn, NY. Support the mission of buildling tenant power. Collaborate with staff and tenant leaders to support tenant associations and rent law campaigns. Create and conduct participatory observation-based survey with students of Brooklyn Housing Court to assess tenant demands regarding access. Create learning opportunities regarding rent control, housing issues, racism and all forms of oppression in housing, gentrification, and social movements.
Member, 2015-present. Diversity and Equity Committee, Gestalt Center for Psychotherapy and Training, NYC. Led initiative for faculty to self-pay for training with People’s Institute for Suvival and Beyond, 2016-2017. 7 of 15 faculty attended. Supported development and ratification of discrimination grievance procedures.
Co-Squad Leader, 2016-2018. Diversity Committee, Maple Street School, Brooklyn, NY. Co-facilitator, 12/4/16 Freedom Songs: Racial and Social Justice Post Election Potluck. Co-facilitator, Flatbush Tenant Coalition outreach at the school.
Co-trainer, 2015, Multicultural Counseling trainings that incorporates analyses of history and power. Gestalt Center for Psychotherapy and Training, NYC.
Co-Planner, 2011 Growing Up Policed: Surveilling Racialized Sexualities
Co-Planner, 2010-2011, Bodying in Queer Theory and Politics: Race and the Global Queer Body Seminar Series (Joint masterclass and lecture series). QUNY, Graduate Center of CUNY.
- “Queer Imprisonments, Queer (In)justice.” 5/18/11. Joey L. Mogul and Andrea J. Ritchie
- “Ashley X: Private Matters, Public Life.” 4/27/11. Lezlie Frye
- “Fat, the First Lady, and Fighting the Politics of Health Science.” 2/25/11. Dr. Bianca Wilson
- “The Time and Place of Violence: Love, Hate, Genocide, and Vitality in the Gentrifying Ghetto.” 11/30/10-12/1/10. Dr. Jin Haritaworn
Co-Founder and Co-Researcher, 2007-2010, Welfare Warriors Research Collaborative, Participatory Action Research Project of the Welfare Organizing Project, Queers for Economic Justice (now closed).
Member, since 2010, Public Science Project
Coordinator, 2006-2007. “Latino/a and Caribbean Psychology Speakers Series,” Social/Personality Psychology program of the Graduate Center of CUNY
Member, Race Traitor, 1998-2000. Anti-police brutality activism.
Support to Welfare Warriors, 1995-1996. Movement to preserve entitlement to public assistance.
Co-author, 2010. A Fabulous Attitude: Low Income LGBTGNC People Surviving and Thriving on Love, Shelter and Knowledge. Welfare Warriors Research Collaborative of Queers for Economic Justice. Data Supplement to A Fabulous Attitude.
Co-Editor and Contributor, 2003-2005, Whiteprivilege.com (original website defunct)
Co-Author, 2000, “A Murder by the Police,” research pamphlet documenting police brutality. New York New Abolitionists.
White Supremacy, White Privilege, and Resistance. Workshop.
- Sarah Lawrence College, Bronxville, NY, 9/05
- LGBT Center, Breaking Walls Building Bridges Youth Conference, NY, NY., 10/03
- United Methodist Seminars on National & International Affairs, United Nations, NY, NY., 2002-03
From Awareness to Action: Disengagement and Reorientation in Becoming White Allies. Presentation
- New England Women’s Studies Association, Code Red Conference, U. Conn., Storrs, CT, 4/04
- National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, Creating Change Conference, Miami, FL, 11/03
Supporting the Authentic Self: Gestalt Therapy with Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender People. 1/2 day workshop.
- Gestalt Center for Psychotherapy and Training, NY, NY., 2/04
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, & Transgender Community Center, NY, NY., 12/02
- Hunter College School of Social Work, NY, NY., 11/02
Building an Anti-Racist Movement Conference-wide anti-racism workshops. Co-facilitator.
- National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, Creating Change Conference, Miami, FL,11/03
- National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, Creating Change Conference, Portland, OR, 11/02